Saturday 27 April 2013

Hobbit Motel Waitomo

The Hobbit Motel


I have decided that an underground house is the best type of house. Burrowed into a hillside this is your nest. This is safe. This is secure. Other  houses standing out in the country night alone, or shoulder to shoulder under the cold city street lights, somehow fail to generate that same sense of impermeable security.

On the particular night of my visit to Middle-Earth the rain drummed incessantly on the woodland path outside. Darkness swallowed the world. Thunder rolled and then it crashed so intensely that the glass in the window vibrated. But enfolded into the ground the Hobbit House felt  inviolate and impenetrable. Maybe it was the curve of the ceiling and the walls. Certainly there was a primitive, womb-like familiarity about this place with its white-washed barriers against the world.


Hobbits of course, live underground in Middle-Earth. With their strange hairy feet they retreat into the earth. I believe Wombles also live underground. Maybe these woolly creatures are onto something!

I like the Hobbit Motel in Waitomo. I like the sack-cloth curtains. I like the hollowed tree-trunk picture frames. I especially like the curve of the ceiling. But what I like best of all is the white donkey and the kune kune pig peering at me from the roof of my Hobbit House.


The pig with its curly pointy tusks and its black shaggy coat, is amazing. But most of all I love that donkey,..  I like the way he peers over the edge of the roof and curiously observes me pushing the key into the red oval door.

 I don't really want to leave my Hobbit House.




P.S. - Most people are good people - they will respect your property. Do we really need to be greeted by a list of rules?

Websites: http://www.unusualstays.com/
http://www.stumbleuponcroatiaslovenia.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment